I've wanted to write a blog about my food and travels for quite some time now, but I had no idea WHICH recipe to start with. So instead of over analyzing to find that perfect recipe, I figured i'd start with what I just made tonight!
First, start with a good piece of salmon. Since we cook for dinner and lunch all at the same time, we typically go with 2lbs of meat. One of the most important things to remember - line the baking sheet with foil! It will save so much time of scrubbing to clean.
It seems my recent love is mustard. (Which is crazy, because growing up, I hated it). I always have two kinds in our kitchen - the Grey Poupon Country Dijon & Trader Joe's Whole Cracked Dijon Mustard! You'll see me use those two mustard's in plenty of other recipes.
Mix together all of the mustards, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and garlic in a bowl and then spoon evenly on top of the salmon. In a 450 degree oven bake the salmon for about 15-18 minutes, or until cooked through. (it should flake easily with a fork)
While the salmon is cooking, collect all of the salad "Mix-in's". This is what makes this salad so easy to make, you really just throw a mix of delicious seasonal berries (whatever is on sale that week), add some nuts, and some dried fruits, and bam! Delicious & healthy dinner.
Take the salmon out of the oven after its fully cooked, and let it sit for about 5 minutes to slightly cool down. Then, just place the salmon on top of the summer salad and enjoy!
Lemon Mustard Salmon
- 2 lbs salmon
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp Trader Joes Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 tbsp Grey Poupon Country Dijon
- 1 tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/8 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp stone ground mustard, 2 tbsp country dijon, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1/8 cup lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Place salmon skin side down on foil lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the mustard/lemon mixture evenly on top of the salmon fillets.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Spinach & spring mix lettuce
- 1 cup of chopped strawberries
- 3/4 cup of blueberries
- 12 dried apricots chopped in quarters
- 1/4 cup of pecans
- Favorite dressing of choice
- Wash strawberries & blueberries thoroughly.
- Chop strawberries & dried apricots.
- Place salad in large bowl and add chopped strawberries, blueberries, apricots and pecans.
- Mix with favorite dressing. (I used a balsamic vinaigrette)