One of our favorite weekend breakfasts is sweet potato home fries with two fried eggs on top, add a bit of hot sauce, and accompany that with an espresso... perfection! Something about breaking that egg open on top of the sweet potatoes... its messy but sooo good.
- 1 Medium sized yellow onion
- 3 Medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 chicken sausages (store bought, already cooked)
1. Add some olive oil to a medium sized pan and put on medium high heat.
2. Chop the yellow onion into large chunks and add to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until they begin to get translucent.
3. While the onions are cooking, chop the sweet potatoes into about 1 inch chunks, and then add to the pan. Add the salt, garlic powder and pepper to the pan, and then cover it to begin cooking the potatoes.
4. Every 5 minutes or so, mix the sweet potato mixture and then place the cover back on. After about 10 or 15 minutes, pierce the sweet potato with a fork to see if its soft.
5. Chop up the chicken sausages into bite sized pieces and add to the pan. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. At this point you should see some browned bits on the sweet potatoes (that's the best part!).
6. In another large pan with some olive oil over medium high heat, crack an egg onto the pan and sprinkle with salt & pepper. (repeat for however many eggs you'd like). This part is completely up to your preference of eggs, I like when the white part is fully cooked but the yoke is not.
7. Throw the sweet potato home fries onto a plate, and gently place the fried egg on top. And add hot sauce if you'd like!